Won’t let MR, others face war crime charges: Govt.

Published : 9:01 am  July 31, 2015 | No comments so far |  | 

(931)

 reads | 

No responsibility for killings of white flag surrendees


 

Untitled-212By Sandun A Jayasekera
While assuring that the government under no circumstances would let former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, military officers or any other official involved in the successful conclusion of the war, to face war crime charges before any inquiry panel, the government said yesterday.

 However, it said it could not  take the responsibility for the deliberate murders reportedly committed to rob money or for those who reportedly  attempted to surrender with white flags.


Cabinet Spokesman and Minister Rajitha Senaratne told the weekly cabinet news briefing that the government was committed to initiate a credible domestic investigation in line with international norms and standards by September as the UNHRC (United Nations Human Rights Council ) report on the alleged violation of the international   humanitarian law at the tail end of the Humanitarian Operation. “I can assure you that there will be no inquiry by any foreign panel or court on alleged human rights violations at the final phase of the war. But there will be an inquiry on those charges by a local panel constituted on international guidelines and standards,” he added. 
The government will take action to frame charges against any one found guilty by the domestic inquiry in an appropriate local court of law.  


Minister Senaratne said the Mahinda Rajapaksa administration had  promised to the international community to conduct a credible investigation on alleged war crimes and take appropriate action against anyone found guilty following the recommendations of the so called Darusman Report. Minister Senaratne charged it was the Rajapaksa administration itself that must take the blame for opening the flood gates for the demand by the UNHRC, the EU and many other countries and global agencies to pressure the Sri Lankan government for a credible investigation on alleged war crimes with foreign involvement. 


He said the Maithripala Sirisena government was able to postpone the release of the UNHRC report for six months on the strength of the confidence it had built among the international community and UN agencies. The report is scheduled to be handed over to President Maithripala Sirisena by the UNHRC in September.


Commenting on the TNA manifesto that pledges northern voters to fight for a federal status for the North –East following the re-merging of the two provinces with police and land powers, Minister Senaratne said any political party could pledge voters anything and everything under the sky but giving them or implementing them was a different matter.


He said a future UNFGG government formed after August 17 would not cede to any demand that would compromise the national security, sovereignty or territorial integrity of Sri Lanka. The UNFGG government is committed to protect the unitary character of the country and never done anything detrimental to ethnic harmony, unity and mutual respect and added the Federal system was first suggested by S.W.R.D.Bandaranaike during the time of the Soulbury commission.  

 

(931)