Ex-MPs to get security after kotahena shooting

Published : 8:30 am  August 5, 2015 | No comments so far |  | 

(413)

 reads | 

sp2By Kurulu Koojana Kariyakarawana
The security of former parliamentarians will be restored considering the grave threat posed to their lives in the aftermath of the Kotahena shooting which killed two UNP supporters and injured 12 others, the police said.

Police Spokesman Ruwan Gunasekara said  Police Chief N K Illangakoon is expected to restore the security of more than 40 former MPs who have made a special request from the Elections Commissioner Mahinda Deshapriya during the weekend.

Based on a request made by Mr. Deshapriya to the Police Chief, the security provided to more than 40 former MPs is expected to be restored with two police constables from the Ministerial Security Division being assigned to each of them.


Based on a request made by Mr. Deshapriya to the Police Chief, the security provided to more than 40 former MPs is expected to be restored


The MPs’ security was removed at the close of nominations after political party representatives met
the Elections Commissioner and collectively agreed to the removing of security provided to former MPs on the basis that it would provide a level playing field for all candidates.  

However, Cabinet and Non-Cabinet Ministers will continue to have their security, regardless of whether they are contesting or not, as required by law based on the fact that they hold government portfolios.

 

(413)