Death of the Fort Railway Station cafeterias

Published : 9:03 am  September 3, 2015 | No comments so far |  |  (1102) reads | 

fort2

By Lahiru Pothmulla and Kusal Chamath
Rejecting claims that the Railway Department had incurred a loss of more than Rs.24 million by closing down cafeterias at the Fort Railway Station, Railway Commercial Superintendent Sisira Kumara said the loss was only Rs. 3.5 million. He also said the cafeteria which had been shut down for almost five  months, would be re-opened this month after calling for tenders.


The curse of political patronage was the cause


He also explained that the former general manager had taken a deposit for three months from the previous contractor, though a deposit for six months should have be taken and that because of this decision and the failure of the previous contractor to pay  the lease the loss had occurred. “We have however, finalised the requirements in calling for tenders that were delayed because of the election,” he said.


The catering service contract had gone by political favour during the  previous regime and it resulted in the closure of the catering  service


Tens of thousands of passengers who travel to Colombo and leave for distance areas by train were affected by the closure of the railway catering service at the Fort Railway Station for several months compelling them to have high-priced meals at roadside hotels..

S.P.Vithanage, the general secretary of the All Ceylon Railway Employees’ General Union charged that the catering service contract had gone by political favour during the previous regime and that it resulted in the closure of the catering service for arrears of rent.