CONFLICTING STATEMENTSPublished : 10:00 am January 21, 2016 | No comments so far | | (683) reads |
BY YOSHITHA PERERA Meethotamulla residents have been left confused after the Colombo Municipality and the Ministry of Megapolis and Western Development made conflicting statements regarding future plans for the dump yard. Residents said Minister of Megapolis and Western Development, Patali Champika Ranawaka during a discussion had stated the transfer- centre which was to be constructed in the yard had been cancelled as the Local Government authorities in Puttalam had not agreed to the plan. The initial plan was to transfer the garbage collected in Meethotamulla to Puttalam via a railway, which was to be built.
However, Colombo Municipal Commissioner V. A. K Anura recently stated the land in Puttalam would be filled as planned and solid waste from Colombo and its suburbs would be transported there. Jansetha Peremuna (the organisation fighting to halt the dumping of garbage in the area) Leader, Nuwan Bopage said the Municipality would have to relocate 180 families with the support of the Urban Development Authority (UDA) to expand the dump yard and a further 210 families to construct the transfer centre. “They promised to leave three and a half acres as a border of the dump yard but are planning to expand it further by relocating more families,” he said. Mr.Bopage said the expansion would encroach on archaeological sites in the area and the government was still silent on the expansion of the project.