UNAUTHORISED ERECTIONS DONE AWAY WITH, AMID PROTESTSPublished : 9:04 am February 15, 2016 | No comments so far | | (888) reads |
All unauthorised erections along the coastal belt from Dehiwala to Mount Lavinia were demolished by the Coast Conservation Department, with the help of the Police and the Army. A senior official of the Coast Conservation Department said the unauthorized erections were demolished with prior notice. He said the unauthorized erections included restaurants and stalls and that the owners had been informed to remove them. He said the occupants ignored the order compelling the department to demolish the erections. The officials said that many of the occupants had encroached even the railway reservation. The unauthorized erections were demolished with back-hoes amid strong protests by the occupants. The traders said they would be left without any place to run their business after their stalls were demolished. They requested the authorities to provide land in other locations or else their families would be starved to death.