Royal College Grade-1 admissions 31 applicants de-listedPublished : 7:29 pm January 13, 2017 | No comments so far | | (320) reads |
By Kalathma Jayawardhane and Thilanka Kanakarathna
Thirty one children, who had allegedly used fraudulent documents when applying for admission to Grade-1 of Royal College in Colombo, will be de-listed, Education Minister Akila Viraj Kariyawasam said yesterday adding that admissions which were put on hold would be resumed next week.
He told a media briefing that the admissions to Grade-1 at Royal College had been suspended after the Education Ministry launched a special inquiry into the admission process.
“The inquiry was launched after receving several complaints about the irregularities that are alleged to have taken place in admissions to Grade-1. We have investigated 147 addresses mentioned in the applications and have recovered 31 fraudulently-prepared documents,” the minister said.
He said the documents had addresses of several public places, religious places and business establishments.
“In one of these documents, the address was that of the Northern Province Chief Minister’s residence. The CM was not even aware of what had happened,” the minister said and added that investigations were continuing while admissions were suspended.
“This is not an easy task. President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe have supported me throughout these investigations. We will take stern action against the parents and the Grama Niladharis who are found guilty of preparing these fraudulent documents,” he said.