Fire at shopping complex in Mt. Lavinia causes extensive damage

Published : 9:17 am  February 23, 2017 | No comments so far |  |  (946) reads | 

CITY-DM-6-5 CITY-DM-6-7

 

By H.M. Dharmapala and Kusal Chamath   
A fire that broke out in a shopping complex dealing with electrical appliances at Solomon Peiries Mawatha off Hotel Junction, caused extensive damage to the building and destroyed other property.  


The Municipal Fire Brigade that rushed to the scene on information from the residents of the area, doused the fire and prevented it from spreading to other buildings. The Officer-in-charge of the Municipal Fire Department U.Samantha said,  it was with great difficulty that the fire was brought under control. He said, the firemen under the OIC of the Unit Sunanda Perera, had to enter the water hoses by breaking open the windows.  


He said  preliminary investigations revealed that an electrical short circuit in a store room had sparked off the fire. The official said the damage caused by the fire was yet to be estimated.