‘We had no option, but to accept Governor’s order’Published : 8:26 am March 7, 2017 | No comments so far | | (61) reads |
By Manopriya Gunasekara
The order given by the then Central Bank Governor Arjuna Mahendran to accept the Rs. 10 billion bid at the Bond auction, had to be accepted by all members of the Tender board, as there was no other option at that time, Central Bank Statistics Department Director Deepa Kanthi Seneviratne told the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (PCoI) probing the CB bond issue.
Ms. Seneviratne also said she was transferred to the Public Debt Department two days before the controversial Bond auction took place from another department of the Central Bank.
She also revealed that all members of the Tender Board had refused to accept Mr. Mahendran’s order to accept the Rs. 10 billion bid. At that time Deputy Governor Samarasiri, who was the head of the Tender Board, told the members that Mr. Mahendran was not keen to change his stance and because of that all members agreed to accept the Rs. 10 billion bid as they didn’t have any other option.
Ms. Seneviratane’s evidence was led by Senior Deputy Solicitor General Priyantha Navana who assists the Special Commission comprising Supreme Court Judges K. T. Chithrasiri and Prasanna Jayawardane and former Deputy Auditor General V. Kandasamy.