Gota fears imminent arrest: Case put off for June 15

Published : 8:51 am  March 14, 2017 | No comments so far |  | 

(549)

 reads | 

By S.S. Selvanayagam  
When the fundamental rights petition filed by former defence secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa that he feared imminent arrest was taken up by the Supreme Court yesterday, the Additional Solicitor General Yasantha Kotagoda said investigations were continuing.

He said if there was evidence of a cognizable offence the mandatory requirement was to arrest the offender.  

Untitled-1
The ASG appearing for the respondents and the Attorney General told Court that the interim order preventing the Financial Crimes Investigation Division (FCID) from arresting him granted on May 13, 2015 was still in operation and asked Court to fix an early date to argue the rights application.  


The Bench comprising Chief Justice Priyasath Dep and Justice Anil Gooneratne fixed the matter for argument on June 15.  The Court had on October 3 last year fixed for yesterday the hearing of the rights petition filed by Mr. Rajapaksa fearing imminent arrest and detention by the FCID.  When the petition was taken up on May 13, 2015, for support on granting leave to proceed, Justice Buwaneka Aluvihara had declined to be a member of the Bench. The two remaining judges — Justices Eva Wanasundera and Sarath de Abrew had granted an Interim Order staying the FCID and others from arresting Mr. Rajapaksa.  They had also granted leave to proceed with his petition.  


Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, the Cabinet members, the Cabinet Secretary, the presidential secretary, then IGP N.K. Ilangakoon, CID Director B.R.S.R. Nagahamulla, FCID DIG Ravi Waidyalankara and the AG were cited as the respondents.  
Romesh de Silva PC with Ali Sabry PC, Sugath Caldera and Sanath Wijewardane appeared for the petitioner while K. Kanag Iswaran PC appeared for the Prime Minister and ASG Yasantha Kotagoda appeared for the other respondents.  

 

 

(549)