Search and rescue operations to continue

Published : 8:57 am  April 19, 2017 | No comments so far |  | 

(380)

 reads | 

By Darshana Sanjeewa  
Search and rescue operations in the aftermath of the Meetotamulla catastrophe continued for the fourth day yesterday, the Ministry of Defence said.  


The Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said the death toll had risen to 31 while at least 10 were still missing up to yesterday.  

They said 11 victims were admitted to the National Hospital, Colombo.  


The DMC said 1,059 people from 246 families had been displaced while  at least 284 people were housed at relief centres. 


The Defence Ministry said Army, Navy, Air Force, Special Task Force, Police and Disaster Management Centre personnel are involved in search and rescue operations.   Military Spokesman Roshan Seneviratne said more than 1,050 security forces personnel were involved in relief operations while 15 earth moving machines and 15 dump trucks have also been deployed.   


STF and Police personnel are maintaining law and order while the security forces personnel are helping in estimating the damage to houses and property.  

 

(380)