Rajitha’s statement mere ignorance: JO

Published : 8:56 am  August 18, 2017 | No comments so far |  | 

(260)

 reads | 

Separate court involving Rajapaksas

By Kalathma Jayawardhane  

The joint opposition yesterday charged that Cabinet Spokesman Minister Rajitha Senaratne’s statement on establishment of a separate court to hear cases involving the Rajapaksas, was mere ignorance.  

Joint opposition member Prof. G.L. Peiris told a news conference that establishment of such a court would completely violate  Section 12 of the Constitution on the right of equality.  “It is impossible to establish separate courts aiming on a particular group or family,” he added.  


Meanwhile, he said that it was impossible to establish a Trial-at-Bar to probe into the alleged corruptions which had taken place during the Mahinda Rajapaksa regime.  


He said that Minister Senaratne had recently stated the government was considering setting up a Trial-at-Bar to hear high profile cases involving top politicians and officials of the Mahinda Rajapaksa regime.  “Generally a Trial-at-Bar is established to probe special murder cases. It is impossible to establish a Trial-at-Bar to hear the alleged corruption cases of the period of the former government,” he added.  
He said that they would not let the government use courts to fulfil the political motives by force. He also said that the Cabinet of Ministers does not have the authority to establish special courts and Trials-at-bar; “Only the Attorney General has the authority to do so,” he said.  He said that they were not afraid of any allegations against the Rajapaksa’s.  


However, he said that there was no evidence against the Rajapaksas and added that the hearings at the Courts had not started yet due to the absence of evidence against them. 

 

 

 

(260)