Probe on MR’s presidential poll campaign Inquiry on alleged funding by CHEC in 2015 launched: Rajitha

Published : 9:09 am  July 5, 2018 | No comments so far |  | 

(96)

 reads | 

LATE-CITY-DM-1-97

By Sandun A Jayasekera

Cabinet spokesman, Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne said the government has already launched an inquiry to the alleged funding of former President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s Presidential Poll campaign by China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) in 2015.  


The leading US broadsheet New York Times on June 25 published an article exposed that the CHEC injected UD$ 7.6 million in late 2015 to Rajapaksa’s election campaign.   


Minister Senaratne told the weekly Cabinet news briefing in Parliament yesterday that Mr. Rajapaksa has been told by the NYT newspaper that he must check the veracity of the contents of the news article from editors of the newspaper and must not attempt to suppress journalists who gave information on the scandal to the US paper.  


“The best source that must give the most convincing and truthful account on this scandal is the CHEC, the alleged donor. If not, the Chinese government must say that the Chinese Company did not give money to Mahinda. But, no one has said that. Therefore, we have every right to believe that this election funding has actually happened. Mahinda has taken money from the Chinese company,” Minister Senaratne stressed.   


State Minister Ranjan Ramanayaka has also lodged a complaint on this scandal at the FCID and that inquiry is also in progress, he noted.   


Minister Senaratne said the other most prudent way for Mahinda to get out of this mess was to sue the NYT as early as possible and for compensation running to millions of dollars in a US court and get this tarnished named cleared.   

 

We have every right to believe that this election funding has actually happened. Mahinda has taken money from the Chinese company

(96)