Power purchasing agreement Decision to extend was decided by Cabinet – CEB Chairman

Published : 12:02 am  July 17, 2018 | No comments so far |  | 

(247)

 reads | 

Life-1-11By Sandun A. Jayasekera

The interdiction of CEB Deputy General Manager Sujeewa Abeywickrama has run into controversy with Abeywickrama alleging that his refusal to pay a private power plant had led to his interdiction. 

 

  • If the CEB did not sign the power purchasing agreement with the100 MWs ACE Embilipitiya Power Plant on April 15th, the entire southern province would have been in darkness
  • The CEB -ACE Embilipitiya agreement was signed several years ago and the power plant had been supplying power to CEB for a long period

 

However, the CEB states that the power purchasing agreement was approved by the Cabinet to prevent a possible power crisis. 

 
If the CEB did not sign the power purchasing agreement with the100 MWs ACE Embilipitiya Power Plant on April 15th, the entire southern province would have been in darkness as the CEB would not have been in a position to supply the demand, CEB Chairman W.B.Ganegala said yesterday.   


Mr. Ganegala told Daily Mirror that the decision to extend the power purchasing agreement from Ace Embilipitiya was a cabinet decision approved by the Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (CAPC) which could not be challenged, and therefore the CEB signed the agreement on 15th April.  Responding to allegations that the CEB unfairly interdicted Mr. Abeywickrama, Mr. Ganegala said his services were suspended pending a formal inquiry, as he was totally opposed to the power purchase from ACE Embilipitiya, for reasons known to him.   


It was a policy decision of the government. If he cannot follow an order of the CEB management and the Ministry, he must go. It is as simple as that,” Mr. Ganegala said.   


“He has no authority to reject a cabinet and the Ministry decision to extend the power purchase agreement from this private power plant. Besides, we were to purchase power from this plant for prices agreed upon under the old agreement and the CEB was under pressure to purchase enough power from the private sector to prevent a power shortage,” Mr. Ganegala said.   


Responding to the charge that the CEB failed to call tenders to purchase power from Private Power Providers (PPP), Mr. Ganegala said the CEB -ACE Embilipitiya agreement was signed several years ago and the power plant had been supplying power to CEB for a long period.   


“If the CEB did not sign the power purchasing agreement on April 15th, the power plant had planned to shut down and the CEB would have been deprived of 100MWs used to supply power to the Southern Province,” Mr. Ganegala stressed.  Mr. Ganegala said Mr. Abeywickrama had a large number of civil and criminal lawsuits against him at various courts with allegations of engaging in illegal businesses like running a large fleet of private buses without obtaining permits from the National Transport Commission (NRC).   


“The Chairman of the NTC had sent us a large dossier of court cases filed against him. He had also failed for several years to declare his assets as required by the CEB service minutes. Therefore his interdiction was imminent and he will have to face the music under the law of the land,” Mr. Ganegala said.   

 

 

If the CEB did not sign the power purchasing agreement on April 15th, the power plant had planned to shut down and the CEB would have been deprived of 100MWs used to supply power to the Southern Province

(247)