Railway strike to continue

Published : 12:06 am  August 10, 2018 | No comments so far |  |  (156) reads | 

DM-1-7

A deserted Fort railway station yesterday
Pic by kushan pathiraja

 

Eight trains scheduled to operate from last evening  

By Kalathma Jayawardhane, Sheain Fernandopulle and Pushpa Weerasekara   

The work stoppage by the Railway Trade Union Alliance (RTUA) is to continue in the absence of any signs of the matter being resolved, RTUA Co-Convener Lal Ariyaratne said yesterday.   

 

Mr. Ariyaratne said no discussion had been offered to them yesterday by any authority concerned and added that the strike would continue further. 

 
“We have launched a sudden strike, which started at 3.00 pm on Wednesday until further notice over several issues including salary anomalies,” he added.   


However, the Railway Department said it was scheduled to operate eight trains by last evening despite the work stoppage by the railway trade unions.   


Railways Additional General Wijaya Samarasinghe said trains were scheduled to operate services on main lines — Chilaw, Puttalam, Matara, Galle, Rambukkana, Kandy, Mahawa, 
and Avissawella.   


“Another oil train was to take off from Kolonnawa,” he said.   

 

We have launched a sudden strike, which started at 3.00 pm on Wednesday until further notice over several issues including salary anomalies


Meanwhile, the Education Ministry confirmed no disruption had been made on students who were attending the GCE Advanced Level (AL) Examination due to the railway strike.   


A spokesperson to the ministry said students had faced no difficulties since there were sufficient buses to arrive at examination centres.   

 

DSC_0138


Meanwhile, several employees of the railways department said the step taken by the government to deploy retired guards and drivers to work the trains was not a viable because most of them were not conversant of techniques in the new railway engines and compartments.   


They said railway guards and drivers who retired quiet recently could perhaps be able to do the job but they are very few. They said, deploying those who had been living in retirement for years, was not a viable venture.   
Earlier, the Finance ministry announced special bus services had been provided to facilitate the train commuters who were stranded due to the train strike and that private buses could operate on any route regardless of route permits.   
It also said the train commuters were permitted to travel on SLTB buses using their train tickets or season tickets.